Welcome to the ACRE

The Agronomy Center for Research and Education, ACRE, is an outdoor laboratory for Purdue Agriculture. Used for field research and hands-on teaching, the 1,135 acre farm is a busy place with faculty, staff, student, and visitor activity. I am Jim Beaty. I have been Superintendent of the ACRE since 1986. With my four full time staff members, part time help, and student employees we are responsible for operating the research farm. About 53 university researchers conduct projects here at the ACRE. I plan to write about our research, visitors, and farm safety thoughts.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

ACRE Safety Thought #02

Safety is as much an “attitude” as it is a “set of rules.” Researchers and other ACRE users should consider safety training for themselves and employees. Then practice safety. Jim Beaty’s #1 reason that you should think about safety; “I care about everyone’s life and health. You should care about yours’ and your workers too.” Jim’s #2 reason; “I don’t want to have to call or face a loved one with bad news about a death or injury. It would break my heart. You don’t either.” Plan, think, train, and work safely at the ACRE. Thanks. Jim (First published in December 2008 in the weekly Purdue Agronomy Newsletter)

No comments:

Post a Comment